Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel

One of my favorite Christmas songs.

But that's not the reason I'm writing this post.

The final word in the title of this beautiful song has more significance than I think most realize.

That final word is what we as Christians need to believe in our hearts every single day.

Through our pain and suffering.

Through our praise and thanksgiving.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel means "God With Us."

You know what that means, right?

We are NEVER alone.

The holidays are a time to be joyful and thankful.  However, in this world, there will always be things that will causes sadness and darkness.

It can be the loss of someone very dear to us.

It could be our own personal struggles within ourselves.

It could be unhappiness in relationships or our careers.

Rejection.

Betrayal.

Broken promises.

No matter what our hurt or sadness is from, God is always with us.

He doesn't promise to take the hurt or pain away, but he promises to always be with us and never leave us.

We have this beautiful opportunity to open our hearts through this suffering and lay it at the feet of Jesus.

He promises to take on our burdens and walk this difficult journey with us.

"And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus." -Philippians 4:19

It can be hard to remember His promises when we are in darkness.  As cliche as this might sound, there is always light at the end of this dark tunnel.

His promises are that light.

The truth. 

What are some of his promises?

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 
-2 Corinthians 12:9

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind.  And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."
-1 Corinthians 10:13

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." -Romans 8:28

Even in our darkness, He fulfills His promises.

In our darkness, He is our light.

Rather than focusing on trying to get away from this suffering, embrace the pain and lean on God.  Lean on those promises.  Through those trials, we become stronger.

"For I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."
-Philippians 4:13

Jesus experienced betrayal, torture, and darkness.  He experienced the ultimate suffering and pain.

He overcame it.

God has promised us victory over death.

"But thanks be to God!  He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
- 1 Corinthians 15:57

Death did NOT win.

The pain and suffering did NOT win.

Jesus gave us HOPE.

Cling to His promises, the truth, and the light.

Our pain and suffering will NOT win.  We will overcome all of it with the hope that has been given to us through Jesus Christ.

God With Us.

Emmanuel.

Image result for emmanuel god with us


"And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
- Revelation 21:4

  


2 comments:

  1. God is with us, never wavering and always present.

    Sometimes we get lost in the darkness and sometimes blinded by the light. As we get close to the exit, the change from darkness to light can be blinding. And even sometimes we are also misguided by others who give promise of direction or light, only to find we have been led astray by false promises of light and end up further from the light than we were before.

    But as Christ fell while carrying his cross, God so puts people in our lives to not only help us back to our feet, but sometimes they will even help us carry our crosses for a time.

    “No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13

    God never gives us more than we can handle, even though we may not see it.

    I am reading a book about the resistance of happiness and can’t help my feelings of being lost. I have always been a happy person, but I have always had the desire and aspiration to do more and be more. But clearly, I have not always heard what God was telling me or calling me to do. I have caved at resistance and not sought true happiness.

    “Teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20

    “Life is messy, and it is not enough just to talk about the mess. We are each called to do something about it. It’s time to confront our own mess, how it affects us, and how our own mess affects others. But it is also time to reach out to others who have a mess greater or smaller than our own and be with them in their mess.” (Matthew Kelly, 2016)

    I can’t help but reflect on this book. I am entranced by its message and can’t stop reading it. Realizing the passion I have had in my faith but the lack of understanding of its messages for myself and how it also applies to others in my life.

    Tonight I did something I have never done. I reflected on my mess and the mess of my loved ones and I found myself praying and then evangelizing our faith. I reflected on someone close to me and our conversations in the past. I reflected how I sensed they are missing that spiritual part of their life. I am going to make it my mission to let them know I sense their struggle and reach out to them and help them find their light.

    So many times people post on social media these kinds of quotes so they feel empowered.

    Fate whispers to the warrior, “You cannot withstand the storm.” The warrior whispers back, “I am the storm.”

    I laugh inside and have my own quote that I have come up with.

    “I am the lighthouse that your storm will wildly and childishly clash against. Your storm will not last forever and eventually wither and die and I will still be standing tall and strong. I will be standing strong with God as He is the light of my lighthouse. His light and my strength will lead people from darkness through your storm to his light. We will guide those seeking refuge and safety through your storm and guide them to safety. I will persevere as God is with me, as God is with us.” (POB, 2016)

    I Am Waiting by John Waller. An amazing person led me to this song. I have listened to this song many many times and read the lyrics even more. I keep focusing on the I Am Waiting. Throughout the song it says while I Am Waiting I Will: Worship, Serve, Move Ahead Bold and Confident, Not Faint, Be Faithful.

    Yet, I am lost in the phrase “I Am Waiting” because I cannot decide if it is
    1) God waiting for me to make my move
    Or
    2) I am waiting for God to make his move

    “God, this is the situation…these are the circumstances…What do you think I should do? ….The moment we open ourselves up to God’s plans is the moment miracles begin to happen in our lives.” (Matthew Kelly, 2016)

    Since God is always with us; is it that I Am Waiting for Him or is it He that is Waiting for Me? God gave us free choice. So I choose You, I choose God. I am ready to make my move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happened to hear O Come O Come Emmanuel today on my Pandora and the song captured my heart and I remembered your post with this title. I couldn't help and not share for others to hear this version!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPHh3nMMu-I

    ReplyDelete