Monday, December 26, 2016

The Soul of the Gospel

"For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." -Matthew 6:14-15

As Catholics, there is one prayer we say every time we go to mass.

It's specifically talks about forgiveness.

Growing up, I never put much thought into it, because the mass is very repetitive.  But if we take the time to truly understand each prayer being said and allow it to heal our hearts and souls, it becomes more than just repetitive.

"So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying that same thing." -Matthew 26:44

Jesus would pray the same prayer more than once.  If He is repetitive in His prayers, then us as Christians should never feel that prayer is just repetitive.  The more we say it, the deeper it becomes engraved in our hearts, and then it begins to heal to us.  It begins to help us see who Christ really is.

Once we see Christ, we are able to open our hearts to Him and let him into our every day lives.

Forgiveness.

"Our Father who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us no into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen."

This is not just a prayer we say in mass, it is found in the Bible too.
Matthew 9:6-15

God wants us to forgive.  Without forgiveness, our souls begin to fill with anger, resentment, frustration, and anxiety.

When we choose not to forgive, we are turning our backs to God.

There is no peace without forgiveness.

I've struggled  with this for years, and I will always admit that.  I've been incredibly angry with someone who did me wrong.

Someone I should have always been able to trust.

About 7 years ago, I thought I had forgiven this person.

And I had.

But I didn't continue to forgive this person.  I didn't pray for this person every single day.

So that frustration and anger started to build back up.

I became so angry with this person that I lost who I was.

I lost who I was and started to become a horrible version of myself.

I forgot how to love myself as God has loved me.

I was reading a book this morning about rediscovering Jesus.

One chapter in this book talked specifically about forgiveness.

I immediately thought of this person who I was so angry with and remembered that I haven't been praying for this person, asking God to forgive them for the wrong they have not only done to me, but to others.

As I'm learning to rediscover Jesus again, which truth be told, no one should ever stop!

But as I continue to, I need to remember that no matter how many times I've been done wrong, I must always forgive.

By praying for those who have done me wrong.

Whether it be someone who cuts me off while driving.

Or someone who says horrible things about me behind my back.

Every single day, we can be caught up in resentment towards anyone who causes us hurt or frustration.

But in those moments, we must remember to pray those wounded souls.

Pray that during their times of darkness, that they find the light.

That they find the truth in Christ.

In doing so, we are not only learning to truly forgive, we are letting go of all the negative feelings and emotions that are deep within our hearts.

We are learning to love ourselves again.

In turn, we learn to love those around us, no matter how they've treated us.

It doesn't mean we have to forget what they've done, but it helps us learn that we are all sinners in this fallen world.

Those who are struggling are the ones who need forgiveness the most.

That's why we must pray for them every single time we feel that anger towards them.

We can't let our hearts grow cold.

We have to keep it burning with passion for Christ.

"As God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience." - Colossians 3:12

Let go of the bitterness.

Pray for those people in most need of forgiveness.

To the person who has done me wrong....

I forgive you.

I pray for you.

I love you.

God loves you too.

Heavenly Father, I pray today that you help this person see their weakness.  Help them see that they need you and need your forgiveness.  Yes, they have done me wrong.  Please help me grow to love them unconditionally, as you love us.  Thank you for your forgiveness.  Thank you for your love.  I pray that this person feels your love and understands they need you.  Help me let go of all the bitterness towards them.  Amen.

I will end this blog on an even more powerful prayer that if said every day, it will change your life.  I know it has started to change mine.

Father Rookey, a healing priest who I believe with all my heart healed my sister, believes that if you say this prayer faithfully, no matter how you feel, and you get to a point where if you sincerely mean each word with all your heart, Jesus will change your whole life in a special way.

"Lord Jesus, I come before You, just as I am, I am sorry for my sins, I repent of my sins, please forgive me. In Your Name, I forgive all others for what they have done against me. I renounce Satan, the evil spirits and all their works. I give You my entire self, Lord Jesus, I accept You as my Lord God and Savior. Heal me, change me, strengthen me in body, soul, and spirit.
Come Lord Jesus, cover me with Your Precious Blood, and fill me with Your Holy Spirit, I love You Lord Jesus, I praise You Lord Jesus, I thank You Jesus, I shall follow You every day of my life. Amen."


Forgiveness.
Light your World.




No comments:

Post a Comment